Thursday, April 15, 2010

Sick as a dog!


Don’t get me wrong, even when I get a slight headache, I think I am about to die…. But this was a whole new ballgame. Monday starts out with me running around the hospital, checking the schedule board, digging through medical charts, and getting patients to try to participate in therapy. The whole day, I had a sharp pain in my side but I just ignored it. Tuesday was the same thing, but when I got home I could barely stand up.

Spending your days at the hospital can turn you into a self confessed hypochondriac, but never will take yourself to the doctors. So naturally, I was online trying to self diagnose myself. By 6:30 I was in bed unable to move. 

The next day Kevin came back from class and saw me still in bed (I am so lucky to have a wonderful co-worker who made me stay home!). He finally convinced me to go to the hospital. Being a patient at St. Luke’s instead of an employee is a very strange feeling. Of course, I still made Kevin park the car on the “employee” floor. Old habits die hard I guess.

As much as I did get a smile when I had to check “married” on my forms, I was hunched over in pain. Finally I get to see the doctor and after his “investigation” he asks me…. “Well, how do you feel about your appendix. Do you still want it?” He then precedes to tell  me that on a scale from 1 to 10 with 1 being nothing wrong and 10 being my appendix is going to burst, I was at a 6. Sweet.

There was one last test to rule out the chance of appendicitis. To save your boredom of my never ending story, turns out I have “the worst kidney infection” that the doctor has ever seen. Yup.

So a shot and a sweet prescription and I was on my way home to sleep for about 48 hours. I still feel weak and have that sharp pain but getting better. Kevin has been a “husband of the year” taking care of me. No, I am not ashamed that I am guilty of texting him to come into the room to turn off the light for me, or asking him for yet again, another popsicle! He even dragged the chair from the study into the bedroom just so he could have lunch with me……. Which I will be asking him to return to the study soon because it definitely doesn’t match our bedroom! 


So until further notice, I am still in bed... and soaking up all the love that I've been getting from Doctor Baxter and Nurse Zoe lately. I'll take that any day. 

5 comments:

  1. hope you feel better quickly!!!
    when i was 23 wks preggers with gray, i had the worst bladder infection, turned kidney infection ever and i will never forget that sharp pain... 2nd worst pain to labor. feel better..... hope we get to see the baethge's soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That stinks! Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you feel better! That's crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh Rachael!! Sounds so painful. So glad you have such a great hubby taking care of you! Hope each day gets better and better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachael, we hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete