Tuesday, May 11, 2010

This is my True Life.

Since living in San Antonio I have been working at St. Luke's in the acute rehab unit. It's been a great experience working with primarily people who have suffered from a stroke. However, I recently found out the amazing news that I was offered a job back at T.I.R.R.-Memorial Hermann and will start June 1! Kevin and I will be moving back to Houston where he will go to dental school and I will be back at my dream job. The ages of my patients will range from 13-60 years old and I can hardly wait. TIRR is 4th in the nation for neuro rehabilitation and I can't believe I get to be apart of it!

Last week I had recorded a show on MTV called "True Life: I have a traumatic brain injury". I am so happy I was able to see this show and feel that everyone should go on itunes and watch it.

Kevin says I'm "his little nerd" but ever since I got the opportunity to intern at T.I.R.R.- Memorial Hermann my last semester of grad school, I have become obsessed with learning everything I can about the rehabilitation process of people who have sustained a brain injury. It amazes me how a split second can change someone's life and that's why I feel so blessed to be able to be apart of these people's lives to regain that independence again. No matter how they may have gotten in that situation, its not fair. I spent my whole high school and college going to parties, traveling, going on road trips, etc. Everyday when I walk into a patient's room that has suffered a TBI, I am reminded that.... it could have been me.

Watching this show tonight has given me that extra adrenaline rush to continue to work hard in my field. I absolutely love that I am the person that can help a patient learn to talk again, eat again, and improve their cognition. Thats my job! There is nothing more rewarding than going into a patient's room for the first time and do therapy to help them emerge from being "minimally conscious".... to having them leave the hospital talking, eating and being on the road to recovery. This is what I do everyday, and I am so lucky.


*Pictures taken from TIRR website. 

5 comments:

  1. this is awesome! i have absolutely LOVED all of my nueropsych classes - its so fun that you get to see this in person every day. and the difference you make is immeasurable! congrats on the job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this Rachael! I am so excited for you and your new job! I love your passion and joy for our field. We get to help people with 2 of the most important aspects of being a human: eating and communicating. There are days when I almost have to run to make it into my car before I cry, but there are also days filled with so much good and hope I could almost burst with joy! I know you are such a blessing to each patient you see. Congrats Rachael!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog... yay!

    Congrats on the job at TIRR. My aunt spent some time there after a bad accident so it holds a very special place in my heart. Hope you are loving it!

    ReplyDelete